Monday, November 7, 2011

Play dough and noodles

At Thad's preschool the families take turns making homemade play dough and dyed noodles for all their fun projects.  It was our turn this week and Thad was my BIG helper! 


Thad really had fun making the play dough.  I measured everything out and he poured it all in the pan to cook.


He was so excited every time I measured something out so he could pour it in.  We made 5 colors of play dough- pink, purple, yellow, blue and green.


(do you notice Ollie in the background in his swing.....he was NOT happy he had to be in the swing while we were having all the fun!)


This is the first time I made play dough and it was really neat how it smells and feels like real play dough from the store.  I had just as much fun making it and playing with it as Thad did :)


Once it cooled we divided it in bags.  

There are all kinds of recipes online but I really like this one:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 Tbs vegetable oil
4 drops of food coloring

Mix all ingredients in pan, cook on medium heat while stirring.  Once it begins to form a thick substance put on wax paper to cool.  Store in air tight container.  

Pretty simple and fun to make!


Of course I had to keep some out for Thad to play with.


We used bow tie and pin wheel noodles and dyed them with vinegar and food coloring.  Our house smelled like vinegar all night!



I love doing things like this for Thad's school.  I love it that he likes to help me and is so proud of himself once he does something. 

No comments: