Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Happy birthday Emma

Today Emma would be 5 years old. Every year as we approach another birthday it just doesn't seem real sometimes. It seems like such a long time ago but when I look at her pictures I remember like it was yesterday what it was like to hold her and to see her precious smile.

This picture is one of our first family photos. This was the day our lives changed forever. We welcomed this sweet little girl into our lives not knowing what her future would hold. It didn't matter that she was only here for 3 months, it was the best 3 months and we are so blessed we got to spend that time with her.
She is on our minds all the time and I'm always wondering what she would look like today. I would like to think she would look like me when I was a little girl since both of my boys take after their daddy. I can picture this sweet little 5 year old with long brown hair and blue eyes.

September 7, 2006
This picture was taken 5 days before we got to bring her home from Denver.

October 1, 2006
Adam's sister Jena and husband Matt came for a visit on this day. Jena took a bunch of pictures of us. I am so glad she was able to take these so we will have them to always look at. Emma was a trooper this day because it seemed like we took hundreds of pictures!

October 10, 2006
I loved the days when we would change her NG feeding tube and oxygen pads. I loved posing her for pictures without her tubes. I'm sure she liked it too!

November 5, 2006
This was taken 4 days before she passed away. I remember this day so well. We took her for a walk. At the time we only lived a few blocks from my work so we walked to my work and showed her off to all my coworkers. I am so glad we did this and that they got a chance to meet her.
So much has happened over the last 5 years in our lives. We have two incredible boys who we are so thankful for. We know Emma is with us everyday and is watching over our family. We are truly blessed even though she isn't here with us physically. The heartache we face in life just makes us stronger. We have to take the bad and the good and make the best out of it. And that is what we do everyday. Everyone always says to us "I don't know how you do it, you are so strong." But the truth is nobody knows how to do "it" until you are put in this situation. You can either accept it and or not. We chose to accept it and make the best out of it. We think about Emma everyday but you find ways to get through these days, especially knowing we will be with her again. Our life will never be the same.

Every time I hear this song.....If Heaven wasn't so far away, I'd pack up the kids and go for the day.......I think of her. I would love to go up to Heaven for the day and visit her. I'm afraid if we went to visit we would want to stay and not come back. Has anyone read the book "Heaven is for Real" It is a wonderful book about a 4 year old boy who died and went to Heaven and then came back to life. I just finished reading it and would recommend it. Be prepared to have tears and chills go through your body. What an incredible journey this little boy went on. Could you imagine going to Heaven for 3 minutes? I can only imagine what he saw. One thing he told his dad was- there was a lot of children in Heaven. That means Emma has lots of friends to play with and keep her occupied until we see her again.

We love you so much Emma girl, you have changed our lives forever and we are so blessed to have you in our life.

Happy birthday Emma! We will continue to celebrate your life everyday.

3 comments:

Matt, Jena, Joshua and Cora said...

Happy Birthday Emma!! We miss you!!

Joan said...

Hey! Jeremy just sent me a link to your blog...awesome! I've been blogging since I got pregnant, I love it so much! Check out mine if you want
lolalucy09.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Oh, Minno... Breaks my heart & makes me happy all over again. You guys handle "it" with much grace & love. God chose Emma to be your special child. I'd say He chose very wisely ;) Lots of love. xoxoxo